Thursday, February 5, 2009

Limping Out: Part 3

Through necessity I did this day. You see the ankle sprain I had sustained was so severe that when eventually examined it was thought to be 100% certainly broken. The rib and chest pain I described, that was a collapsed lung and bruised chest. Every breathe was a labor to survive. I was told had I not come in to urgent care I would not have been able to breathe by the end of the day. Remember my post on reaching the end of your breath as the start of God’s?!!! THIS WAS THAT DAY. I had no hope of making it out unless God walked at my side carrying me along the way. There was no crutch, no walking stick, no rescue, only a rugged uneven loose rocky terrain of the San Gabriel mountain range. Did I mention this is the home of mountain lions, Coyotes, and other wild creatures. Not a good situation. So I got up and began to walk out, limp out with God.

 

Along the way I was reminded of the prayers I had said that very morning. Prayers of protection, prayers where I claimed the healing power of Christ, prayers where I claimed the power of the Holy Spirit in casting out evil. Amazingly powerful prayer. Each step was a labor, not too much pressure on the left foot not too much compensation on the right chest. Shooting pain on a foot for an incorrect step, blazing fire in my chest when I breathed too deep or compensated for my ankle. It was a no win situation. Three miles to go, 2.75 miles to go, 2.5 miles to go. A mountain biker, a hard core guy, my kind of rider labored up to me issuing a faint greeting of beautiful day isn’t it?! Fantastic I countered, have a great ride. It was all I could muster more words would have been like fire in my chest.

 

But why didn’t you ask him for help?!!!

 

I had already decided that this was God’s turn. He would save me from this place. He would be my deliverer. This was my Egypt, he is my King. No, some mountain biker would do me no good on this journey. 


2.25 miles 


Pain seemed to envelop me, panic was lurking in the shadows. This was not going to be easy could we make it I wondered more than once. Could this battered body make it out even with God as its guide? 


2.0 miles: 


Passing by places from happier hikes time with God in prayer, time with wind whipping through my hair times of promise, times of joy. Today was a labor today was dependence.


1.75 miles: 


There were steps where I swear my ankle stopped hurting. My mind said pick up the pace this is a bad dream. Was this the edge of shock and delirium? No this was God. Remember the serenity prayer and the story of how two sets of prints became one? God was carrying me out in this time. This was not of me. 


1.5 miles: 


How can this be God? Why did this happen? I protected you, remember the psalm? He asked. Why does it hurt so much Lord I can’t take it . Remember my son? What was his pain like for you? I am with you even now. 


1.25 miles:


I can see the end of the trail it is a long way off but I can see it for the first time. Can we make it God? I trust you. Will my ankle get that far? 


1.0 miles: 


Father why am I not angry that this happened? Why does this seem like only an inconvenience? Why the range of emotion? Why the JOY?!!! 


0.75 Miles: 


Oh the biker again. Laughter He still can’t help me. Have a great ride! Have a great hike he responds. If only he knew! This was the hike of lifetime. Limping out with God. 


0.5 miles: 


What! You have got to be kidding me a JEEP!? Man too late no way we finish what we started God and man (injured man) How’s it going guys, enjoy your ride. 


0.25 miles: 


Time for the cell phone not much battery left but enough to make the call. Kim (my wife) please come get me now! Are you okay? A voice of genuine concern she can hear the labor and pain in my voice. Just come get me I will tell you when you arrive. 


0.0 miles:


Relief God has carried me out of the wilderness. Praise his holy and faithful name.

 

Only joy remained in my soul as my wife pulled up and I carefully managed to get into her car. Yes the human emotions wreaked havoc on my mind. In less than 4 hours I would travel the entire grief cycle while waiting for and between medical care. Urgent care confirmed the extent of my injuries and marveled at how I was able to get out of the mountains. Not me I knew how, it was a God thing. I ended up travelling by ambulance to the local hospital where after many pain killing drugs a chest tube was inserted to address my collapsed lung. It is funny to consider that despite the vicadin, adavan and morphine and whatever else was in the cocktail they gave me I had once and for all experienced the peace that surpasses all understanding. I was joyful, I was content.  

 

Amazingly this was not the end of the story...

No comments: