Sunday, February 1, 2009

Limping Out: Part 2

I chose the latter…

 

Before I knew it I went from a careful slow walk to a careening reckless freight train heading into a rock face. With every step my pace quickened. Could this be happening I asked. Slow down on the flat I reasoned. You’re going kind of fast I cautioned. There was no slowing down every step became more and more a sprint toward the hard packed dirt and rock ground of my mountain playground. I fought to keep in control ever accelerating. 5 feet from the bottom I was at full sprint. The thought of slowing down now seemed impossible. My body knew what was coming. 2 feet: Thoughts of I can make it, slow down on the flat , were engulfed by how the heck did we get this much speed up. You better be able to stop this could be bad. 1 foot: This is going to hurt, aw crap! My left ankle rolled under the unbearable pounding of velocity and change in direction. My body continued its relentless downward journey until hard earth smacked into it. THWACK! Roll after roll to a dusty dazed stop in the dirt.

 

With a scream of anguish I yelled. It did not hurt yet, this was a scream of frustration, stupidity, and the slow rising blood of pain. This was bad. I am 3  miles from ANYWHERE. What will I do.

 

Then a thought came over me. God this is NOT what I had in mind when I said I wanted to hear from you. Laughter. I laughed until it hurt. I laughed with God, I laughed at myself until it hurt. Unfortunately that did not take much.

 

I did a body inventory as I have always done when I fall. Check the joints (oh left ankle bad I can feel the blood rushing there even now) legs fine, head fortunately fine clear thinking no blood phew! Arms ouch right elbow stinging and the cool sensation of blood hitting the cool mountain air. Otherwise arms good. Chest: why does it hurt to breathe? Oh this is bad cracked some ribs for sure, deep stabbing pain on each breathe with my whole right chest erupting in fire with every touch. That can’t be good.

 

Again survey the situation. 3 miles from and possible means of rescue, in the middle of the wilderness late morning. Know anyone with a 4 by that can come get you? No would take too long anyway. Want to call 911 and wait for med-evac? NO that would cost a fortune although it would be cool to do the MASH 4077 helicopter ride. NO GET UP AND WALK OUT. Was it my voice or God’s? In my pain fogged state I had no idea.

 

Have you ever depended so completely on God that you gave yourself no room to be on your own?


to be continued...

No comments: