Saturday, August 4, 2007

Em-Manuel

A few days ago I had the opportunity to work with a small but dedicated group in south Fontana. Perhaps you have never heard of south Fontana. It is a hot arid place on the edge of the deserts of southern California. Here you find blistering heat in the summer and poverty year round. This is a place of desperation. This is a place where generations of Americans go without health care; without most of the things that you and I hardly think about. Here people consider where their next meal will come from and whether they should eat or pay their rent. This is a place of desperation.

When I was sick…

For one day each month this changes. A small group of Christ followers congregate at a local church and do their level best to serve these same people. A mobile medical unit comes and sets up shop providing basic medical care for all who show up. They work tirelessly all day ensuring that these people see the hope of Christ through their eyes.

When I was hungry…

Our group brings in a truck full of food. I have the pleasure of organizing the packing of 100 boxes of food for the people. There are so many wonderful moments in this time. Each moment is a blessing, everything from small aches of joy in the small of my back, to the electricity of the opening prayer, to the intimacy of listening to a hurting broken brother or sister. I praise God for the opportunity to be in these moments fully alive for him and his church.

When I was lonely…

There are games, music, puppet shows, bouncers for the kids. This is a time for community to be built and strengthened, a time for new bonds of friendship to be planted.

Go amongst all the nations and proclaim the good news…

This day I asked a new friend "Manuel" a question. Do you believe that Christ died for you and loves you? Any evangelist worth his weight in salt might think this is no big thing. It was, Saturday marked the first time, praise God, that I asked another person this question. At least the first person where the answer was not known. The Lord is doing a work inside my heart. He is opening me up to the lonely and the poor, he is gracing me with a glimpse of his ability to see his people as he does.

Speak Lord for your servant is listening…

Father I praise you, I love you and I thank you. I ask that you open the eyes of all the peoples of this earth to the suffering, pain and loneliness that surrounds them like a sea. I ask that you bless them and teach them to see how they can make a difference for you. Father I pray that you will use me fully, make me a vessel of your peace of your grace and healing. Here I am father use me.

In your son’s victorious name I pray

Amen

No comments: