Tuesday, October 13, 2009

EXTRAORDINARY! Ch1-2 Gods Love

It was a cool fall day in so Cal, a day that stands out as there are few October days that stay below 70 degrees. This is the type of day I love; grey overcast and cool, threat of rain, it kind of reminded me of the steely grey days of Canada in my youth.

This day was special I had a new book to read.

I should say that I am an avid reader. It is not uncommon for me to read over 100 books a year. Yet in the past 6 months I could not even pick up a book. They simply held no interest to me. I had wondered why for months but allowed my time to be consumed with thee many other demands of my life. NOT today! Today I would crack open John Bevere's new book Extraordinary. Before I did so I earnestly asked God to reveal to me his wisdom as I read every word.

As I read this book implore me to read sequentially cover to cover I shrugged. I do that with every book I read, odd though for an author to ask for that behavior. When I got into the argument of God's love I understood why. This book builds on a firm foundation that must be built to gain the most value.

I read the chapter on God's love for us checking every scripture as I read and contemplating on each. What a powerful exercise. I ended the chapter reading John's challenge. Three points

  • Do you believe God loves you unconditionally?
  • If you do not is it based on feelings or what God has spoken?
  • Make a decision to believe Gods word.
Well as I reflected on these questions, sitting at a local park I like to frequent, God spoke to me.

You see on question 1 the answer came quickly

I don't know that He loves me unconditionally...

Heck I am not even sure He loves me.

How could He love me? How could He even know me? If He knew me surely He would be ashamed of me.

I worked through this emotion and with His help came to an interesting place. Yes He loves me, He just doesn't like my behavior much lately.

Clearly my opinion regarding His love was based on my feelings which I know to be deceptive.

The final challenge was extremely powerful for me. I believe in the gospel hence I believe in His word. He says He loves me. I heard a thought to read all the verses demonstrating God's love in the bible. I did so later that day and was surrounded by a sense of peace and comfort as I did so.

You know He does love me and He loves you to. Do you know His love.

PRAISE YOUR HOLY NAME FATHER.

Thank you for loving me

Thank you for not giving up on me

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 3:16

Amen

No comments: