Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Are you Free?

There is a verse in Second Peter that says;



a single day is like a thousand years with the Lord and a thousand years are like a single day

2 Peter 3:8



Have you ever stopped to consider what this might mean?


Recently I have been reflecting on a deliverance the Lord has granted me. For years I have fought a battle in this area for years I have failed. This was for me the thorn in my flesh the wound that would not be healed. Before I came back to the faith I really did not even consider the behavior to be wrong. Sure I had a vague sense that it was, that old catholic guilt thing. I was able to quickly rationalize my behavior and continue on oblivious to the consequences I was piling up. In the last ten years as my faith in Christ has grown I have become increasingly aware of how wrong headed I was and how much death I was sowing.


So I began in earnest to stop the behavior. I would fail each time and then the guilt of failure would convict me sending me deeper into despair and self loathing. I would cry out to God seek forgiveness and healing for my sin and start anew. Yet I would stumble and fail again and again.


I looked deeper what were the triggers to the behavior, if only I could stop them, I would be delivered! I sought these out. One by one I eliminated the triggers, only to find more or worse yet new triggers as my flesh desperately clinged to old ways. The stumble comes leading to failure.


I tried studying Christian books on the subject. How to break free from old patterns. I followed their models for years with only minuscule success. The stumble comes and failure follows and the cycle goes over again.


I tried talking to Christian friends and family. I shared my heart I asked for their support. This worked for a while accountability is a great thing especially in Christ. However in time even this broke down and again the stumble comes and the cycle repeats.


I tried crying out to God in desperation. I yelled at him, screamed, lashed out in anger, cried tears of desperation, humbled myself before him in a last ditch attempt to find freedom from my bondage. I gained some relief but in time I would stumble and again the cycle repeats.


Then something happened


There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus

Romans 8:1


I discovered what this verse means and for the first time believed it.


It is finished

John 19:30


I discovered what this verse means and for the first time believed it


Love the lord your God with all your heart your soul your strength and your mind

Luke 10:27


I finally began to understand what this verse meant and began to live it.


As you sew so shall you reap

Galatians 6:7



I began to finally understand my struggle from a spiritual dimension


This winter my pastor did an extended sermon series on Galatians and it changed my life.


I am Free


I finally understand that my past behavior was reaping present consequence. Until I accepted that I am a new creation in Christ and that ALL my sins have already been forgiven, I could not be free. Today I am free from the lie of condemnation, I am free from the selfishness of self (on this battle front anyway). I have learned to surrender my will to God. I have been delivered. I am free to choose, free to live for him, free to serve his people, free to heal the broken hearted, I am free


The Lord revealed to me that my failure was predictable. Until I surrendered to him completely, until I trusted him completely, until I truly loved him, until I stopped trying to change in my own strength, until I waited upon him and his timing I could not be free.


I am free


Praise you Lord Jesus


My brothers and sisters you too can be free


Confess your sins to Jesus and repent


Accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior


He will set you free


Your brother in Christ


Ron

No comments: